The Ministry of Health (MOH) had dismissed the case of a 24-year-old Zimbabwean man, a student from a private higher education institutions (IPTS) in Sarawak as said to had suspected of having Ebola Virus Infection (EVD) as reported in several on line newspapers and portals earlier today.
According to a press release by MOH Director General Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, at this moment, initial investigation that is still ongoing revealed that this case is not treated as a patient suspected of having EVD.
Disclosing that at this moment, Zimbabwe is not listed by the World Health Organization (WHO) as an EVD-infected country, he said that the suspect had also no history of international travel that might had him to have contacted with those having EVD within 21 days before he began to show his symptoms.
MOH will be working closely with all the relevant ministries and agencies, including the Ministry of Education in the vigilance against the spread of the disease into the country EVD.
Through an ongoing monitoring by MOH, so far, there are no confirmed cases in Malaysia have EVD.
MOH also, through the National Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) will continue to monitor this event and will be informed about any developments from time to time.
Earlier today, several newspaper portals reported that a 24-year-old IPTS student from Zimbabwean was admitted under suspicion of having EVD.
The reports also stated that the student suffered symptoms of fever, sore throat and coughing since September 13, 2014 and was treated as having an upper respiratory tract infection at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) and currently he is in a stable condition